Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani Campus invites motivated and research-focused faculty with outstanding academic background and potential to excel in research and teaching to apply for positions of Lecturar of Journalism & TV/Film Production Under Department of Languages.
|Degree||Course||Minimum Marks required|
|Other Masters||Broadcast Journalism||60|
Master Degree in a relevant discipline from an institution of high repute (with a 1st Div. or 60% in all college/university level degrees)
Potential for excellence in teaching and research.
Contributory provident fund:
BITS contributes 12% of an employee’s total compensation (viz. pay-in-pay-band, AGP, DA and any other allowance) to the employee’s “contributory provident fund”. The employee also contributes @ 12% of his/her compensation. The total (employee’s contribution, effective BITS’ contribution, and interest thereon) is payable to the employee at the time of his/her separation from BITS. (This is governed as per the Government’s Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.)
The benefit of Gratuity is provided as per “Provisions of the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972”. The gratuity amount is calculated as follows: (15/26) * (no. of years of continuous service to BITS) * (last pay is drawn), subject to a maximum of Rs.10 lakhs.
While a limited number of medical practitioners and facilities, as also a pharmacy, are available on every BITS’ campus, certain expenses incurred by employees for medical treatment of themselves and their families are reimbursed to the extent of 90%.
Children’s education allowance: Tuition fees paid for studies up to class 12 by a faculty member, spouse, or his/her child is reimbursable, but this is subject to certain limits. Tuition fees to be paid by a faculty member, spouse, or his/her child for studies in any regular programme in BITS is 90% reimbursed.
Subject to availability, residential accommodation is provided on payment of prescribed nominal license fee and maintenance charges such as electricity, security, etc.
Leave Travel Concession: This concession is admissible to faculty members and their families, once in a cycle of two years for visit to their hometown. The institute meets 100% of the actual fare both for the onward and returns journeys as per eligibility of travel.
A faculty member is entitled to 60 days vacation per academic year.
Casual Leave, Special Casual Leave, Half Pay Leave, Commuted Leave etc. are also available to faculty members.
A faculty member is eligible for one-year Sabbatical to Leave with full pay after the completion of six years of continuous service at Assistant Professor Level or higher, with the Institute, and once every six years of continuous employment thereafter. (The details are given elsewhere.)
Extraordinary leave (EOL) without pay:
A faculty may avail “extraordinary leave” (EOL) without pay for up to 2 years at a time after three-year service at BITS. The total of such EOL (together with sabbatical leave) is limited to 20% of time spent at BITS.
Research Initiation Grant:
All faculty members who joined BITS on or after August 1, 2009, at the level of Assistant Professor or above will be eligible for one-time research initiation grant of Rs 2 lakhs. The details are given elsewhere.)
Contingency allowance is increased to Rs. 1,00,000 for Assistant Professor and above and Rs. 25,000 for Lecturers.
Assistant Prof. and above will be reimbursed baggage shifting and traveling expenses of self and family up to Rs. 50,000/-for joining BITS or for intercampus or off campus transfer within India. Assistant Prof. and above will be reimbursed baggage shifting and traveling expenses of self and family up to Rs.1,00,000/-for joining BITS from abroad. For lecturers, this allowance will be half the amount. (The details are given elsewhere.)
Computer Equipment replacement:
Every faculty member will be provided with a computer and accessories costing up to Rs. 50,000 and the same will be replaced every five years. (The details are given elsewhere.)
The steps given below give the process through which an application is progressed. Other than ensuring that your application is complete and accurate, please make sure that you are able to give a technical seminar on your teaching/research background as also on your plans to teach and do research if you were to join BITS. Also, ensure that the referees will indeed write letters of reference if and when we write to them. Briefly:
1. Applications must be submitted in the prescribed form on BITS’ website. Please ensure that you meet the minimum qualification before applying. However, you may consider applying if you expect to complete the minimum degree requirements within the next 3 months, or so. The appointment will, however, be conditional upon your completing the degree requirements.
2. Incomplete applications will not be entertained.
3. You must indicate the campuses for which you wish to be considered. Your application will be considered for short-listing by the concerned committees, one for each discipline and campus you wish to be considered.
4. Once the committee decides to take your application forward, you may be invited to give a technical seminar on your (i) background, (ii) research that you have carried out thus far, (iii) your plans to teach and do research if and when you join BITS Pilani. If you have expressed interest in more than one campus, you may have to repeat the seminar at other campuses as well. The seminar may be given in person or using technology (audio- or video-conferencing).
5. The committee may also seek letters of reference from the referees that you have identified in your application. Please be sure they will respond in time.
6. There may be a cross-discipline review of the short-listing done by various departments on a given campus. This will be followed by a cross-campus review by the university-level short-listing committee.
7. Candidates who are finally short-listed by the university-level short-listing committee will be called for interview by a “selection committee”, one for each discipline, but common to all campuses. It will be to your advantage if you were to appear in person before the committee. However, if you simply cannot, the selection committee would like to interact with you using video-conferencing or over the telephone.
Eligible candidates may apply online only, with details of their educational background, experience, and academic achievements anytime at www.bits-pilani.ac.in/careers. Applications received up to Feb 19, 2018, will be considered in the current recruitment cycle. Applications received after Feb 19, 2018, will be taken up in the next cycle.
Terms and conditions of appointments
a. An appointment will be on the temporary basis for one year, to be assessed and renewed every year based on their performance in teaching and research for a maximum of 6 years and subject to the following:
i. They will normally be required to engage in research towards their Ph.D. for 50% of the time,
ii. They must make every effort to complete their Ph.D. within 6 years, failing which they may continue to work for Ph.D. as full time/part time students without financial support from BITS.
b. Once he/she completes the PhD, he/she can apply to BITS for the position of an Assistant Prof., if he/she chooses to, in which case the application will be processed following the usual process of short‐listing and interview for the position of Assistant Prof. It is re-emphasized that appointment as an Assistant Professor will not be automatic.